- This event has passed.
Level I: IASTM Fundamentals – Northern Ireland
April 15 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
£125 – £399
What are the benefits of IASTM?
– Quicker detection of restrictions in soft tissue
– Quicker and easier to break up tissue densities
– Helps reduce and heal scar tissue – Easier on therapists hands
– Improving patient outcome whilst reducing clinical treatment time
This 8 hour course (inc. post exam) covers the basic skills necessary to safely begin IASTM techniques. In this course, participants will receive hands on instruction in the proper use of IASTM through a lab focused teaching format. The course will address proper instrument selection to address body contours and reach target tissues. Prior to the live course, attendees will participate in an online course covering the research and fundamentals of IASTM technique through narrated videos. The course includes watching two videos and taking a short quiz. At the end of the course, attendees will take a 1-hour exam for a certification in Level I: IASTM Fundamental.
Introduction – theoretical basis of IASTM, review of current literature
• Lecture format to review highlights of the online course material focusing on evidence in current literature and theories behind using IASTM as a treatment technique
• Review of indications, precautions, and contraindications
Basic handling, tool selection, and basic treatment strokes lab
• Lab based skills component for participants to learn proper tool handling, basic treatment strokes, and proper tool selection based on target tissue using the thigh and knee as a forgiving region for skill acquistion
• Included is a free-play open lab to allow participants opportunity to have access to tools for free-form learning and question development
Lecture/discussion – treatment integration and dosing
• Treatment time and frequency - Location of IASTM in the flow of therapy visit
• Myofascia and cutaneous strokes lab
Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight large surface – broad strokes
• Desensitising strokes targeting cutaneous tissue heighted
• Surgical incision and superficial scar release strokes highlighted
Deep muscle strokes lab
• Multiple tools and body regions selected to highlight muscle interfaces and planes • Emphasis on tool selection based on body contours, depth of target tissue, and size of target area
Ligament/ tendon treatment strokes lab
• Strokes specific to ligamentous and tendon tissue targeted • Multiple body regions selected for skills acquisition
Hard tissue/soft tissue interface lab
• Body regions and specific tools selected to highlight strokes to facilitate mobility of bone/tendon/muscle/soft tissue interfaces
Instruction in use of the Multi-tool and skills integration
(Ken Johnson using the HawkGrip tongue depressor to improve active range of motion for a knee injury).
Am I qualified to attend a HawkGrips Certification course?
The target audience is limited to those who have achieved, or are a student in their final year working towards one or more of the following credentials: Chiropractor, Occupational Therapist, Osteopath, Physiotherapist, Podiatrist, Sports Rehabilitator, Sports Therapist